Generosity + stewardship
At Cross Timbers, one of our Core Values is generosity. It’s not what we do but who we are. We know based on scripture we are encouraged to mature and develop as Followers of Christ and as we see opportunities to be generous, we respond.
What is Generosity?
Generosity is how we give of our resources.
What is Stewardship?
Stewardship is how we manage our resources. It’s what we do with and how we divide our time, talent and treasure.
What does it mean to live a Generous Life?
Living a Generous Life and being a good steward of our resources is something that God wants for us and not from us. We find freedom in living our lives with an open mind, heart and hand. We respond in the following ways:
- Our Time which is our most valuable asset
- Our Talent which are things we’re good at and that we like to do
- Our Treasure which is about how we use our finances
What is First Fruit Giving?
The Bible is clear that everything we have ultimately belongs to God, but He trusts us to steward well everything He gives us. First fruit giving simply means we give to God our best, first. We don’t wait to see what, if anything is left over to give. It’s about making generosity a priority in our life. The Bible also teaches about offerings or financial giving even beyond the First Fruit gifts. We call this Kingdom Giving, when we give to specific opportunities that can help God’s Kingdom and influence expand.
Why do we talk about first fruit giving vs tithing?
- First fruit giving is a concept that reflects priority as well as, percentage. Based on scripture God deserves our first and our best. He modeled this by giving us His first, His only and His best in Jesus.
- Tithing is an Old Testament concept. Jesus came to fulfill the old law and take us all to new places that exceed the legalism and rules of the Old Testament.
- Jesus, Paul nor any other New Testament author commanded tithing.
- The New Testament offers us a great deal on the topic of generosity. It frees us from following strict laws as well as, freeing us to serve others out of gratitude, rather than guilt. The following scriptures reflect the very nature of God Himself
2 Corinthians 8:3 & 9:7 – Giving Voluntarily
Philippians 4:17 & 18 – Giving Generously
Mark 12:42 – Giving Sacrificially
2 Corinthians 9:7 – Giving Cheerfully
1 Corinthians 9:3 & Acts 20:35 – Giving to support local ministries and the poor
Where does the money go?
Everyone wants to feel confident in the organizations we give to financially. At Cross Timbers, we want everyone to understand that we are giving to God through the church, not to the church itself. There are multiple ways we try and communicate how our finances are stewarded:
- Through stories of life change that we share consistently at the “Giving” time during weekend services
- Every weekend we receive an offering as written by Paul in the New Testament – 1 Corinthians 16:1-4
- Through ministry initiatives
- We believe there is no greater investment we can make than an investment that goes to further the vision for Cross Timbers of which advances God’s Kingdom both locally and around the world
What resources do we offer?
We are here to help encourage you in the maturing process of living generously. We have opportunities in place that will assist you in assessing the current state of generosity, as well as options to learn effective ways to create financial margin.
- The Generosity Kit is a road map to assess your current generosity journey. Follow the action steps that will assist you in leading a more financially generous life
- Financial Hope Workshop will help you develop a more rounded perspective and understanding of creating financial margin in your life, Financial Hope Workshop is designed to help you find that margin and create a financial plan for your life. If the concepts and principles are applied the plan can help you find opportunities to be more financially free. Register to participate at the link below.
- The Generosity Experience is a 90-minute event that explores how generosity has the power to change you and bring more joy, freedom, and purpose to your life. This experience is designed to focus on your heart, not your money. We know your journey is unique and we never ask for money or prescribe what you should give to or how much you should give. We simply use short videos, scriptures, and real-life stories for the group to enjoy and then genuinely and informally discuss them together to bring the concept of generosity to life. For more information contact: email@example.com
- What serving opportunities are available? Serving is part of who we are at Cross Timbers as we live a Generous Life. We believe there is a place for everyone to serve here at Cross Timbers, using their time, gifts and talents. Complete the Find My Fit assessment at the link below and start your serve journey when you Say Yes to the Serve Team.
- The Legacy Team serves our church with the gift of giving. The team is an opportunity for those who are called and equipped to finance the Kingdom of God and to leave a legacy. For information about the Legacy Team contact the Legacy Pastor at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Scripture tells us: We have different gifts, according to the grace given to each of us. If your gift is prophesying, then prophesy in accordance with your faith; if it is serving, then serve; if it is teaching, then teach; if it is to encourage, then give encouragement; if it is giving, then give generously; if it is to lead, do it diligently; if it is to show mercy, do it cheerfully.
— ROMANS 12:6-8
For questions regarding giving contact: email@example.com