Mother’s Day 2022
Message Summary: One of the most often heard statements from Moms is, “Being a mom is the GREATEST JOY of my life.” God desires us to be overflowing with joy. Joy is intimately connected to who God is: scripture is filled with promises of joy, joy is evidence of the Holy Spirit in your life, and heaven will be filled with joy. So choosing to live a life of joy is one of the Godliest, most Christ-like, and heavenly attributes you can have.
1. How would you define joy? How is joy different from happiness? What does joy look like to you? Can you tell of a time when you felt the most joyful?
2. A life of joy is not void of difficulties. Sometimes we experience joy because of the blood, sweat, and tears. Sometimes joy is a product of going through extreme difficulties and experiencing life on the other side. Sometimes joy is a perspective you choose because of the pain you’ve endured.
a. How have you seen joy through difficult circumstances?
b. What does it take to live a life of joy even in difficult times?
3. Ecclesiastes is full of wisdom, but it’s not conventional wisdom, wisdom that can only be learned through life experience. Solomon begins Ecclesiastes with “life is short, a mist” (v1:1) and concludes it with “enjoy every moment of life” (v9:7). Solomon’s conclusion wasn’t work harder, do more, get richer BUT enjoy, choose joy.
a. What advice would you give a younger you about enjoying every moment of life?
b. What should you do differently to actively choose joy every day?
4. When Solomon said “drink from your own well”, he was saying “comparison is the THEFT of JOY”. When times get difficult, it is time to persevere, not stop and compare. We must invest in the life we have been given. What investments do I need to make this week to reap a harvest of joy?
5. JOY is contagious and part of being a follower of Jesus means spreading Joy. Just like spreading HOPE – Just like spreading LOVE – Just like spreading PEACE, we get to spread JOY! How can I be a contagious spreader of joy this week?
Proverbs 5:15 NIV – Drink water from your own well
Romans 15:13 NIV – May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Galatians 5:22-23 NIV – But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
Psalm 16:11 NIV – You will make known to me the way of life; In Your presence is fullness of joy; In Your right hand there are pleasures forever.