Message Summary: Learning the secret to live like a servant. Living like a servant is hard. It is important, however, as God carries out the Gospel through us, so we must be servants to accomplish this. The idea of being a servant isn’t just a concept from Scripture, however. Based on studies and research, serving others is the only way we will ever be fulfilled in life.
A few things to remember:
- You will have to work hard to be a servant. God plays a part in this process, but we play a part as well.
- We already have the heart of a servant, which is given by God. We must do the work of awakening that identity that is already within us.
- The secret to being a servant is to do everything without complaining (Philippians 2:14-15). You can’t be a servant and complain at the same time.
We tend to follow the “complaining cycle”:
We believe we are king > We are entitled > We complain > We are unwilling to serve
We can battle against this with the “gratitude cycle”:
Jesus is king > We are humbled > We are grateful > We are willing to serve
We must do everything without complaining and give thanks in all circumstances. This means fighting the battle of whether to complain or give thanks.
- In what situations/relationships in life are you most likely to complain? Why?
- What are some ways that you can bring gratitude into those areas?
- What situations/relationships are you most grateful/thankful for?
- Do you find yourself naturally being willing to serve more in those relationships?
- What are some practical ways that you can focus on being more of a servant this week?
Philippians 2:5-15 – In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage; rather, he made himself nothing by taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to death – event death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed – not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence – continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose. Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky.