Ted Talks | Part 2
“…, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore, I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.” 2 Corinthians 10:7-10
- Toby shared that with a series like Reel to Real or Ted Lasso, we can find Biblical truths to share with people who are out on church and maybe even out on God. Toby shared truths that he finds in the series. What are some examples of other shows or movies that you have found Biblical truths despite their secular nature.
- Our Natural Tendency is to Run From Pain:Challenges are coming and we get to decide if we are going to be a victim or if we are going to trust Jesus. But we have become experts at avoiding pain. What are ways that you see others coping with pain by avoiding it? What are ways that you see yourself coping with pain by avoiding it?
- At some point, we have all heard people around us say that are completely out on God because they believe He is supposed to give us a less painful life. When He doesn’t take our pain from Him, we can tend to believe He is far from us. What would you say to someone who shared this belief with you? How would you share the truth about God and His benevolent nature?
- God Uses Pain to Transform Us:
God can use the pain of our lives to transform our lives. He can use our thorn to help us find the freedom we are seeking. If you are comfortable, share the way God helped you find freedom in the middle of your mess?
- Spend some time this week thinking about how God has used your thorn to shape the trajectory of your life. Write out how He has used the dark seasons or hard times of your life to allow you true freedom. In your quiet time, thank Him for using those times for good.