Why should I forgive?
- What is your favorite song about forgiveness? Use your cell phone to find it online and play a few seconds of that song for your group. Then share what makes this song your favorite?
- When you think about forgiving someone, on a scale of 1-10, how easy is it for you to forgive them for something they did that hurt you? Explain.
- When you think about asking for forgiveness, on a scale of 1-10, how easy is it for you to ask someone to forgive you when you hurt them? Explain.
- As believers, we can understand the importance of forgiveness and we can understand the concept of forgiveness, but why do you think forgiveness is so hard for us? Why is it so difficult for us to just let it go?
- Forgiveness is a critical aspect of healthy relationships. All types of relationships will require forgiveness at some point. Learning to forgive again and again doesn’t always come naturally to us and yet it’s presence in our relationships is incredibly important. At some level, we have all had to forgive and forgive again. What steps did you take to fully forgive when you have been hurt? How do you think your experience could help someone else forgive?
- Toby asks, “how many times to we have to Frozen the whole thing and just let it go?” In a way, Peter asked that question for each of us. We all want to know how many times we should forgive…“Then Peter came up and said to him, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times?”
Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.”
— Matthew 18:21-22It’s not a literal number to forgive but rather a concept. We are to forgive to infinite and beyond.
Forgiveness is really about each of us.
Share a time when you have truly forgiven someone else. What did the action of forgiveness do for you, for your heart?
- We all desire peace in our hearts. Real peace-true freedom. We know that forgiving and forgiving again is not the easiest thing to do-but it is critical to our well being. Search your heart. Is there someone in your life that you need to forgive? Make a note of that person’s name. Pray. Ask God to help you forgive them. Spend time this week releasing that person. Find the life you have been looking for by forgiving-it’s a better way.
Watch this video about the power of forgiveness